Thursday, October 22, 2015

Stunned Into Silence: A new first

Something happened today, something weird. Keep in mind, weird for me as an college-student-seeming 86 year old vampire is far beyond the confines of regular weird. I was visiting a bookstore this morning, nosing through the vampire section, minding my own business, when this person spilled orange juice all over my new blouse. Of course, my initial reaction was to scream "how dare you" in the shrillest voice I could muster, but when I made eye contact with this person, my internal monologue, normally teeming with wit, went silent. This face held the bluest, warmest eyes to ever meet mine. In his hands, he held a copy of Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire, and I can finally say that I understand what "swoon" really means. After apologizing profusely, and offering to dry clean my outfit, he made his way to the register and out the door. It was at this moment that three equally horrifying thoughts hit me all at once - One, I made it approximately three minutes without nary a stunned utterance (huge, I know), two, I will never see him again, and three, he smells human. How could I have fallen into the vampire stereotype of being a tortured soul with a soft spot for a human love interest? Maybe I'm reaching with the "tortured soul" bit, I don't know, but the soft spot is there. In all of my years, I've learned that when you find something that makes you feel special in a way in that you have never felt, you cannot deny yourself more of that feeling. These weird glimpses into happiness are what make the world continue to spin for humans and vampires alike. I will do whatever it takes, even if it means making the bookstore my second home, if I can find happiness in one of these glimpses again.

No comments:

Post a Comment